Saturday, August 1, 2015

Week 2: Genesis 4:17-26



https://ruachneshama.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/reach20forward.jpg
Week 2: Genesis 4:17-26

At A Glance:
Author: Moses or “J”
Form: Segmented Genealogy
Themes: Development of worldly loves in contrast with proper worship, contrast between Seth’s devout line and Cain’s line increasing in sin
Summary:  A brief genealogy of Cain’s line and the beginning of Seth’s line.  These verses are called the pre-flood generations verses. Through Cain’s line comes greater pride and love for worldly things, whereas Seth’s line begins to institute authentic worship of God. 

Commentary
4:17-26 – This section makes the completion of the creation of man and the pre-flood generations.  The number 7 appears in verse 24 as an echo of verse 15.  Several words appear 7 times (brother, name) Cain’s name appears 14 times.  The 7th name in the generation is Lamech who is the epitome of the growth of sinfulness.  At the same time the divine names between chapters 2-4 have appeared 70 times (Elohim 40 times, Yahweh Elohim 20 times, and Yahweh 10 times) revealing that although sin continues to God, it is not beyond God’s providence.   Below are the lines of Cain & Seth with their name meanings.  Names with an * do not have a direct Hebrew translation but what is written is the commonly chosen one:
 

4:17-22 – Cain’s line is made up of men with powerful names a few of which invoke the name of God (Hebrew suffix “el”).  Although they are powerful men with names indicating devoutness for God, they are anything but devout.  They carry with them the inherited sinful disposition of Cain their father.  They are artists, metalworkers, and nomads.  They have great love for the gifts of this world, but no love is shown for the creator of this world. 

4:17 – The fact that Cain is able to bear children with his wife reveals God’s faithfulness to Adam to continue their line despite human sin.  Cain’s pride remains as he wishes to make a name for himself by naming a city after his son Enoch. 

4:19-24 – Lamech is the seventh generation from Adam and he shows how Cain’s line continues to degenerate deeper and deeper into sin.  He is the first polygamist.  Verses 23-24 are a song he wrote of himself boasting in his murderous nature.

4:25-26 – Adam & Eve’s son Seth begins the contrast to Cain’s line of descendants.  Where Cain’s descendants had powerful and holy names with little regard for God, Seth’s son Enosh is name “Mortal” or perhaps more literally “frail man”.  Yet it is this frail man who establishes proper worship by invoking the name of the LORD (here Yahweh).

Final Thoughts
            Scott Hahn points out the stark contrast between Cain who wants to make a name for himself by establishing a city and naming it after his son Enoch, and Enosh, the son of Seth who wanted to call upon the name of the LORD.  Cain’s descendants establish cities, create music, and work with metal, but Seth’s descendants pray. 
It amazes me how this ancient work speaks directly to me today.  When I am focused on the work that I do and how good I do it, pride and the fall are not too far behind.  When I pray, on the other hand, I more readily recognize the LORD who gave me the talents to do the work I do so well.  When I recognize God’s hand on my work, rather than pride I feel humility and sometimes even guilt.  God gave me these gifts and I do not live up to their fullest potential.  Although the work may have been done well I recognize that there are little imperfections that reveal the weakness in me from my sin.  These imperfections reveal themselves in something I forgot to consider, a meeting I overlooked, the slight embellishment or twisting of the truth so that I appear upright to others, or even a little procrastination.  But when I call upon the name of the Lord in prayer I also experience God’s mercy and the realization that God’s hand is on my life in the midst of my sins.  He directs me and challenges me to become more like his son Jesus. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home